Friday, November 30, 2012

Fabulous Fudge



I am in love with the recipes from the Toronto Vegetarian Association bake off!  I think I should try each and every one as they truly are winners.  I made this one exactly as written and it turned out beautifully.  They hold up well even at room temperature for about an hour or so (well that is the case in my kitchen as it is fall/winter here on the prairies and it is snowing lightly as I write) and the taste is reminiscent and superior to that of traditional peanut butter chocolate bars. Even my niece Cristina, who normally does not like chocolate, loved these and said she plans to make them for her office annual Christmas cookie exchange. Here is the recipe as posted by TVA. I used my favorite Camino baking chocolate and my favorite creamy peanut butter (the one with the two bears on it)! Key to best flavor is a neutral tasting margarine (I opted for vegan Becel).




Dashing Dan’s Fabulous Fudge
Dan Pitman
Winner Vegan and Gluten-Free - TFVBO 2010
Recipe from “Peanut Butter Planet” by Robin Robertson (now out of print). Used with permission. Check out Robin’s website: www.globalvegankitchen.com or blog: http://veganplanet.blogspot.com.

Ingredients
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped, or chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup nonhydrogenated margerine
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan.  Place the chocolate, peanut butter, and margarine in a heatproof bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.Turn off the heat and whisk in the sugar and vanilla until smooth and well-blended.Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and cool until firm.  Cut into squares, Keep refrigerated.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Best Basic Bread Recipe

  1 cup warm water 1 package traditional rise yeast 1 teaspoon sugar 3 cups warm water 3 tablespoons olive oil 3 tablespoons sugar 3 teaspoo...