Thursday, January 13, 2011

Breakfast Cookies



Happy New Year everyone!  It's already near the middle of the month and now that all the chocolates and other sweets are devoured it's time to get serious! And since I don't want to give up cookies entirely I decided the only way was to seriously modify the ingredients .  Here's my starting cookie.  It may get more modified along the way but for right now this one is totally satisfactory and I am pleased that it's also gluten free. The only thing that concerns me is it's fairly high fat (but good fats - so great for growing kids).  However at my age I can stand to use less fat (even the good kind) so my next thought is to try another batch with no olive oil and perhaps 1/2 the peanut butter and subbing 1/4 cup of roasted, mashed sweet potato to take it's place!  It's a thought and I'll report back on that once I've tried it out!  I didn't know what to call this cookie but since I always say I'd love to just eat cookies for breakfast I decided to go with that!  In my opinion the ingredients make them healthy enough to use as a breakfast on the run.

Ingredients
1/4 cup oatbran
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup ground golden flaxseed
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons agave nectar
2 tablespoons soy milk
1/2 ripe banana
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup quick oats

Measure 1/2 cup oats into a small bowl. Whirl oil, agave nectar, soy milk, banana and vanilla in magic bullet (or blender).  Pour this over the 1/2 cup oats. Mix together and let sit while you measure the ingredients from oatbran to sea salt into a slightly larger bowl.  Add the 1/4 cup peanut butter to the soaked oat mixture.  Mix the wet and dry together well. Roll into balls using 1 tablespoon dough each. Press down with bottom of a glass to flatten. I used a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Bake at 325 degrees for about 10-12 minutes.  Makes 17 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best Basic Bread Recipe

  1 cup warm water 1 package traditional rise yeast 1 teaspoon sugar 3 cups warm water 3 tablespoons olive oil 3 tablespoons sugar 3 teaspoo...