Sunday, October 25, 2009

One Potato, Two Potato!


If all else fails and you don't know what to eat...grab some (organic if you can) potatoes and onions. You really can't go wrong with this simple peasant style meal, can you? I hate what the industry has done to potatoes -- I don't think there is one french fry out there that I would want to eat! I hate to sound old and stuffy but darn -- in the old days (we're talking the 60's here) french fries were delicious! It was a real treat. We used to take a bus to go shopping in downtown Edmonton and we always finished up with a stop by the Zellers' food counter for a glass of orange crush (again something that doesn't even come close to tasting like it used to) and a plate of wonderful french fries that were actually tasty! We used to always ask for mayo on the side instead of ketchup which used to draw a few strange looks! That was the dutch coming out of us -- my mom always gave us mayo with our fries. Hmmmm..makes me want to go grab a big jar of veganaise and make some homemade fries! And I'm still really ticked that orange crush now tastes like a bunch of chemicals in a can!! There's no reason that they can't make orange crush taste like it used to is there? Seriously -- the old recipe must be floating around somewhere! Please bring it back!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love fries with malt vinegar - have you ever tried that? Your photo is making me hungry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tami,

    I have never tried that -- I've never even tried malt vinegar! Thanks for the tip --guess I need to put that on my to try list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy. I'm going to have some oven roasted sweet potatoes, yellow potatoes, yams & taro right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gerda! I just answered you back on my two recent blog posts...it's fun to share all this yummy inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Best Basic Bread Recipe

  1 cup warm water 1 package traditional rise yeast 1 teaspoon sugar 3 cups warm water 3 tablespoons olive oil 3 tablespoons sugar 3 teaspoo...