Saturday, November 7, 2009

Veggie Prairie Girl's Chili

Well after all the baking it was time to get back to earth and make something that won't make me spin. Actually I did okay with all the baking -- I managed to pass off lots to other family members so it's all good. I'm actually eyeing a recipe tonight for a rum raisin cake with rum glaze that's starting to sound mighty appealing! Stay tuned for that one -- the only thing holding me back is that I've run out of organic raisins so will have to make a run for that tomorrow.

Anyhow thought I'd put down on paper the ingredients that I find the most appealing in a chili so here we go. I've finished it and it's cooling in the fridge overnight. The recipe makes six cups so I'll have a small bowl for lunch and then I'll make the executive decision as to whether to go with a bunch of empanadas (handy for the freezer) or throw the rest into a casserole dish and make a cornbread topping. I don't think anyone needs me to give exact instructions for making the chili. I don't do anything special with it. Just the usual -- start sauteeing the onions, garlic, tofu with spices and add the chopped veggies. Add a little water and let the veggies simmer until almost softened before adding the beans and the tomato sauce.

I don't know if the 8 oz packages of tofu are available everywhere but they are available here in Edmonton at Planet Organic. They're only $1.29 each and I love how they are the perfect size for so many recipes. I was getting tired of using half a 16 oz size and having to put it away so I'm glad the brains behind Soyganic came up with this terrific little package!



Main Ingredients
8 oz tofu, extra firm
1 onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks bok choy, diced
2 small zucchini, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 medium size carrots, grated
2 tomatoes, diced
14 oz can Eden organic pinto beans
14 oz can Royal City organic tomato sauce

Spices + More
1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Double Concentrated
tomato paste (Doppio)
1 tablespoon veggie broth powder
2 tablespoons paul bragg
2 teaspoons chocolate powder
2 teaspoons sugar
chili powder
garlic powder
salt & pepper
2 tablepoons ketchup

Veggie Prairie Girl Rambles
I once made a massive amount of veggie chili with the very honorable founding member of Vegetarians of Alberta, Glen MacLean, for a supper VOA was providing for the Bissell Center. He's the one who told me I should always add some grated carrot, chocolate powder and sugar to any chili I make and since that day I've always done that. I like the nice color that chocolate powder gives to the veggie chili so it's a good thing. The only other thing that I can think of to recommend is that if you have time marinate your tofu the night before as it can't hurt for a boost of extra flavor. I also suggest cutting the tofu into very tiny little cubes as it's nice to have little bites as opposed to big chunks. At least I think so! Plus that way if I do decide to do the empanadas with half of it it works out better for that as well. Oh and the reason I mentioned the brand of my tomato sauce (Royal City Organic) is because I thought it was particularly good -- lots of real tomato flavor -- not watery tasty like some of the other brands can be.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard that tip about the chocolate powders as well. I've never done it though because I never have any on hand. I do add some sugar, and it certainly brings out the flavour. I might have to whip this up soon. So hearty and healthy.

    ReplyDelete

Best Basic Bread Recipe

  1 cup warm water 1 package traditional rise yeast 1 teaspoon sugar 3 cups warm water 3 tablespoons olive oil 3 tablespoons sugar 3 teaspoo...