Sunday, November 1, 2009

Veggie Pate

This recipe is one of my very favorite of all time. You wouldn't think that these ingredients would make such an amazing and healthy spread. Addictive is one word that describes how I feel about it! And healthy -- I mean where else are you gonna get so much B12 in one serving! Eat this stuff anyway you like -- straight up in little squares, spread on crackers or on a toasted sun-dried tomato flavor bagel, or slathered on a fluffy white bun with lettuce, veganaise and pickles!! The last version is my very favorite way to eat it! It keeps refrigerated for several days, or pieces can be frozen. Makes a 9 inch square pan. This recipe is from a cookbook I've had in my kitchen for almost 16 years. It was put out by the Toronto Vegetarian Association in 1994 and the title was Vegetarian Tastes of Toronto (A Collection of the City's Finest Recipes) and all recipes are vegan. This recipe for Veggie Pate was submitted to the TVA by Ted Leckie and if you're out there in cyberspace I'd like to say a great big personal thank you for a very fine contribution indeed!

Recipe
1-1/2 cups sunflower seeds
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 or 2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 raw potato, grated medium
1 raw carrot, grated fine
1 stalk of celery, minced
1/2 onion minced
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. paul bragg
1-1/2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon each thyme, basil & sage
garlic powder (opt) - 1 teaspoon
salt, pepper - to taste


Grind sunflower seeds (I use my magic bullet for this -- it's just the right size). Any blender will do a good job as sunflower seeds grind easily. I saute my onion and garlic cloves for a bit just until softened and to bring out the flavor. You can feel free to skip this step as they just added the onions raw in original recipe and since the pate is cooked for 1 hour it will be fine. Mix ground up sunflower seeds, flour, nutritional yeast, and spices. Add your 1-1/2 cup warm water, grated veggies, onions, celery, garlic, lemon juice, oil and paul bragg. Mix together well -- taste and adjust seasonings if required. Pour into a 9 inch square pan (lightly greased) and bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Let pate cool. Store in the fridge - tastes better after thoroughly cooled.


Veggie Prairie Girl Rambles
flour -- brown rice flour works perfectly well in this recipe -- I almost prefer the nice nutty flavor it gives it but it is ever so slightly grainer...not enough to worry about though. I used spelt flour today as that's what I had on hand and of course it was just fine!

paul bragg -- you can use any soy sauce you like instead of paul bragg if it's not something you use. original recipe doesn't use any soy sauce or paul bragg but I prefer the flavor and darker color of the pate you get by using it.

oil -- original recipe uses 2 tbsp. oil but I found it was just fine with one but if you're looking to increase caloric content use the full 2 tablespooons.

onions -- original recipe uses green onions but since I never have these on hand I just use 1/2 onion minced and sauted instead. original recipe also did not call for any garlic but I'm a major garlic lover so I have a hard time not using it!

lemon juice -- I only use 1 tablespoon. You can sub rice vinegar if you prefer.

nutritonal profile - I did a rough caculation and came up with a total calorie count of 1310 for the whole recipe and 65 gm protein.

http://www.veg.ca (Toronto Vegetarian Association)

1 comment:

  1. I have had (and made) this pate oodles of times and it's a treat to anyone who eats it. A hit time and time again.

    ReplyDelete

Best Basic Bread Recipe

  1 cup warm water 1 package traditional rise yeast 1 teaspoon sugar 3 cups warm water 3 tablespoons olive oil 3 tablespoons sugar 3 teaspoo...