Monday, November 16, 2009

No Hurry Veggie Curry

I want to thank Tami of Tami Transcends Tofu for her wonderful recipe that she posted recently. Thanks to her I took the plunge and got my slow cooker out of the cupboard. As you know from my post below the first thing I did was make Kutia. The next dish I was eager to try out was her yummy looking curry. I have a few things to learn about slow cooker cooking. The very first thing is to read the recipe correctly!! I did get all the ingredients right but instead of cooking it on low for 6-8 hours I cooked it on high for that amount of time! Well by that time it sure didn't look like Tami's lovely curry any longer. Go check out her blog to see how beautiful it looks when cooked on low.
http://tamitranscendstofu.blogspot.com/

I should have chopped my carrots a little thicker because that might have worked out better. They were a little overdone. Overall though I can't complain as the preparation was minimal; nothing to stir or try to keep from burning; aroma filling the house was lovely and the taste was terrific. I'm starting to love this slow cooker and am on the prowl for more recipes to take advantage of this helping hand in the kitchen. If you don't have one yet I'd give it some serious consideration. I wish I would have had one years ago. But that's the beauty of blogging on the internet -- we're here to inspire, help and share. Thank you Tami!

No Hurry Vegetable Curry
from Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker (pg. 124) by Robin Robertson
serves 4


1 tablespoon peanut oil (I used olive oil)
2 large carrots, sliced on a diagonal
1 medium size yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons curry powder (I like less - 1 tablespoon was enough for me)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 large Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled & diced
8 ounces green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 15.5 ounce can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
Salt


Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the carrots and onions, stir, cover. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, curry powder, coriander, and cayenne. Stir to coat evenly.

Transfer the vegetable mixture to a 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker. Add the potatoes, green beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, and veggie stock. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

Just before serving, stir in the thawed peas and coconut milk. Season with salt to taste. Serve over whatever rice you like best.

The recipe says it serves 4 -- well those are 4 very large servings. I'd say it's more like about 6 servings especially since you're putting it over rice.

3 comments:

  1. That looks very savoury and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'd really like the flavors. I think you'd really like how easy it was to make in the crockpot! I'll put some in the freezer for you and Luc to try! It made a lot. I ate it twice already, nicole had and there's a whole lot left!
    I think what really made this dish was the use of fresh green beans (french cut).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm glad you tried this recipe, Gerda. This is the one where I accidently turned my slow cooker to warm instead of low and then discovered that fact several hours later when everthing was still tough. I had to set it to high and then cut the time in half. So I can relate to your experience! I'm glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Best Basic Bread Recipe

  1 cup warm water 1 package traditional rise yeast 1 teaspoon sugar 3 cups warm water 3 tablespoons olive oil 3 tablespoons sugar 3 teaspoo...