Saturday, October 24, 2009

Caramel Corn

170 gm bag of Nature's Path Organic Corn Puffs
(12 cups corn puffs in the bag)

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1/4 cup golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda


Heat oven to 200F. Put corn puffs onto an ungreased extra large size cookie sheet with rims.

Heat sugar, margarine, syrup and salt, stirring occasionally, until bubbly around the edges. Continue cooking over medium heat for 5 minutes.

Remove from heat, stir in baking soda until foamy. Pour onto corn puffs, stir until most puffs are coated.

Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Veggie Prairie Girl Rambles
You can of course use fresh popped corn in place of the purchased corn puffs. This is the first time I've made it with the corn puffs. I was thinking it might be nice not to have all the hard kernels. However the flavor is probably better with fresh popcorn popped in oil. And since fat = flavor for most of us it's no wonder because I'm sure I used to use about 4 tablespoons of oil to pop my corn for this recipe. My husband tasted it and his comment was "is this the diet version"?? Hardly diet but certainly compared to how I used to do it! He said it was tasty enough. Perhaps next time I think I might cut down the amount of popcorn to 10 cups and that way there would be more coating on each kernel as I thought it was slightly skimpy for the full 12 cups. Either that or 1-1/2x the recipe above and have it super duper coated!
I got the idea to try the corn puffs from my brother as for thanksgiving he made caramel popcorn with the bagged popcorn twists! I just thought that it might be a "little healthier" to try using organic corn puffs. However I must say his version was very very yummy so I might have to ask him for the recipe! I just really like that this is a nice treat for the gluten sensitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best Basic Bread Recipe

  1 cup warm water 1 package traditional rise yeast 1 teaspoon sugar 3 cups warm water 3 tablespoons olive oil 3 tablespoons sugar 3 teaspoo...