Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Potato-crusted lentil hot pot

I was looking for something else to do with red lentils besides soup and found this here . The original recipe is listed below so you can decide whether you want to go with that one or implement a few of the changes I made. I rarely use celery so substituted a small bok choy in it's place and also added half a small zucchini . I used one onion instead of two because to me, for a dish that only serves 4 people, two onions seems excessive. Five fresh organic tomatoes would cost a small fortune on the prairies in winter so I used one 14 oz size can of diced organic tomatoes including the juice which I figured eliminated the need for the 1 cup stock. I also cooked the lentils for closer to 20-25 minutes. I scrubbed my potatoes, buttered them on the outside and cooked them in the oven until tender. I cooled them and then removed the skins before placing on top of the lentil mixture. I used my own spices that I prefer (my usual -- lots of chili powder, garlic/parlsey powder, 4 teaspoons of veggie broth powder, 1/4 teaspoon tumeric, dash of pepper & paul bragg). I forgot the curry powder. All in all a very nice way to use red lentils -- not the most photogenic dish in the world but very tasty. I'll definitely be making this again as it's hard to beat the nutritional value of this combination. Maybe I'm slow but the preparation time took me longer than 20 minutes -- by the time I peeled, cleaned & chopped everything and had the dish oven ready it was more like 45 minutes. They must have speed cooks in these kitchens -- anyhow doesn't matter -- the dish was totally worth spending 45 minutes on!

Serving size: Serves 4
Cuisine type: Modern Australian
Cooking time: More than 1 hour
Special options: Low fat, Vegetarian
Course: Main

Preparation time 20 minutes. Cooking time 1 hour 25 minutes. Recipe is best made just before serving. Not suitable to freeze or microwave. Per serve 9.8g fat; 1719kJ

INGREDIENTS
¾ cup (150g) red lentils
5 medium potatoes (1kg)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium brown onions (300g), chopped
2 medium carrots (240g), chopped
3 sticks trimmed celery (225g) chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
l teaspoon curry powder
5 medium ripe tomatoes (950g), peeled, chopped
1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
15g butter, melted
¼ teaspoon paprika

Cover lentils with water in large pan, bring to boil, then simmer uncovered, about 10 minutes or until lentils are just tender; drain well.
Boil, steam or microwave potatoes in their skins until tender.
Heat oil in large pan; cook onion, carrot, celery and garlic, stirring, over medium heat about 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Stir in curry powder; cook 1 minute. Add tomato, stock and paste, bring to boil; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in parsley and lentils.
Spoon lentil mixture into oiled large ovenproof dish (8-cup capacity). Slice potatoes; arrange over lentil mixture. Brush potato slices with butter, sprinkle with paprika.
Bake hot pot, uncovered, in moderate oven(350F) about 45 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best Basic Bread Recipe

  1 cup warm water 1 package traditional rise yeast 1 teaspoon sugar 3 cups warm water 3 tablespoons olive oil 3 tablespoons sugar 3 teaspoo...