Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Deliciously Simple - Baby Potatoes & Organic Strawberries


This is the time of year when the produce is just so wonderful -- why can't it be like this all year long? These baby potatoes were so tasty - I just can't get enough of them. I tossed a whole bag of these little beauties into the sink and scrubbed them really well.  I put them in a large roasting pan, drizzled them with virgin olive oil, sprinkled them with garlic &  chili powder, added 2 sweet walla onions (in large chunks - they really shrink as they cook) and about 1/4 cup water.  I covered my dish and put into a 350F oven for about 1-1/2 hour.  I cooked a bowl of rice in the oven at the same time in order to make the best use of my energy consumption. I like to cook up extra rice whenever I can and freeze in portions for quick future meal prep. I ate a plateful of potatoes straight out of the oven topped with the onions. I followed this up with a luscious bowl of strawberries for dessert and because they were all so perfectly delicious it was very satisfying! 


Simplicity is not only easy but simply scrumptious! Eat each bite with great joy and lots of thanks that we are able to partake of the bounty that mother earth continues to provide despite many ongoing harsh environmental conditions (man made and natural)! In the spirit of giving back thanks to the earth perhaps we need to start looking at some ways in which we can be "greener" in our own environment. A good place to start is by taking a trip to Earth's General Store  @ 9605 - 82nd Avenue right here in Edmonton. The staff there are very knowledgeable and very willing to assist in the quest to be greener!  Also check out the various green blogs online and see if you can't pick up a few pointers. Any change you can make is good for you and good for us all collectively!

2 comments:

  1. Those potatoes look delicious. I never thought of having just roasted potatoes for dinner but I think I'm going to pick some up at the Farmers Market Saturday for Saturday's dinner:)

    I love Earths General Store too!! I need to get over there more often

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Earth's General Store, even moreso now that they have produce and a bigger location.

    Those potatoes look so simple but so delicious! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Best Basic Bread Recipe

  1 cup warm water 1 package traditional rise yeast 1 teaspoon sugar 3 cups warm water 3 tablespoons olive oil 3 tablespoons sugar 3 teaspoo...