Friday, December 25, 2009

Iced Star Cookies

I love cutout cookies but I always avoid making them because they are more labor-intensive. But I do love how they look and since these turned out so cute I thought I'd share them. I can't even remember where I wrote this cookie recipe down from -- the only change I made of course was to change out the 2 eggs with my ever faithful flaxseed-egg mixture and that was that. I also rolled out the dough much thicker than recommended and I would suggest the same to anyone trying this recipe. Unless of course you prefer very thin and harder type cookie. I made them both ways and definitely prefer the thicker size as the flavor of the sugar dough comes through better that way. The glaze is your standard icing sugar mixed with water. I love this glaze -- it hardens so nice and by using just water you don't have to worry about refrigerating the cookies.

Recipe3/4 cup hard margarine softened1 cup granulated sugar2 tbsp. golden ground flaxseed plus 6 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons vanilla
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour2 teaspoons baking powder1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream thoroughly (preferably with electric beaters) until light and fluffy (about 3-4 minutes). Add flour (preferably sifted with baking powder and salt) to creamed mixture. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Roll between wax paper to make things easier. I left dough about 1/2 inch thick. Cut out in desired shapes. Bake at 350F for about 10 minutes. Tops will be very pale but underneath should be nicely browned when done. I lined my cookie sheet with parchment paper and re-used the same piece several times. Make sure your cookie sheet is cool before putting on new batch of cookies. Cool, then glaze with icing sugar/water mixture.


Veggie Prairie Girl RamblesMerry Christmas Everyone! Oh and in case you're wondering what's on my dinner menu tonight besides the iced star cookies here's a clue:



Don't you think all the colors are very appropriate for Christmas? I thought so and since I needed to keep the stove burners open I opted for this crockpot recipe that I tried in November thanks to Tami. I rounded out the dinner with mashed potatoes, country style gravy, bread stuffing and unlimited amounts of dutch style tofu croquettes! I would have liked to have had a few more items on the menu but I've been down with a case of the sniffles these last few days so the energy level wasn't high enough to do so. Ah well, there's always next year! And next year -- I'd better mark my calendar in October for the hunt for almond paste if I don't want to make my own like I ended up having to do this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best Basic Bread Recipe

  1 cup warm water 1 package traditional rise yeast 1 teaspoon sugar 3 cups warm water 3 tablespoons olive oil 3 tablespoons sugar 3 teaspoo...